Last Halloween, two of my grandsons wanted to be Ghostbusters. They are child size 3 and 4, give or take. I used McCall’s costumes M6417, kids pattern size 3 to 8.
Because all the sizes are in the pattern, I trace the pattern in the sizes that I need. When I am tracing the pattern piece, I write all the info that is on the original pattern piece. I also write the size that the pattern piece is. website loading test It makes it so much easier to cut out the fabric when you don’t have to fold the original pattern piece to the size you need.
I use a tracing paper that we bought online at www.DickBlick.com. It comes on a roll: 12″, 18″ or 24″ by 20 yard roll, or 12″, 18″, 24″ or 36″ by 50 yard roll. I use the 36″ X 50 yard roll because I use all sizes of patterns and you can get more on a section of the tracing paper.
My grandsons have short arms and legs, so when I laid out the pattern on the fabric, I folded up the pattern piece in the place that said to shorten or lengthen. I wrote on the pattern piece of the pants where the size 3 length would be and folded up the pattern to cut the fabric at the size 3 length.
The fabric I used was a heavier cotton muslin that did need to be pre-washed to get the sizing out and let it do its shrinking. I used the heavier muslin because I knew it would be cold when they went Trick-or-treating. I also wanted the fabric to last longer than a day or two.
I do not have a Serger that works so I sewed the seam twice and then did a zig-zag stitch on the outside of the seam. I knew being a costume it would be played with often. So I believe in sewing things that will last.
I do not like rough edges, so the casing you have to make at the waist for the elastic on the sides and back I folded over once at the outer part of the seam and then sewed it down. I made sure the seam was folded toward the top direction of the outfit.
I then used my handy dandy sewing ruler and measured one inch by folding it up to the top of the outfit to make the casing. (I love the metal rulers with a metal seam gauge. They are hard to find because they make it with a plastic seam gauge now.)
I sewed it in place following where I sewed before when I was getting rid of the rough edge.
The pattern calls for a zipper up the front. Because it is a costume to wear over other clothing I decided to use 2 Velcro strips (or if you want to call it Hook and Loop. I prefer Velcro.) Lining them up to each other can be a bit tricky. Decide where you want the Velcro to be, then pin in place. Sew the bottom side down on both then the top side down. I sewed inside the seam so it wouldn’t show.
The name tag is a 1-inch wide grosgrain ribbon folded under on both sides. My daughter wrote the name on the ribbon, then I folded the ends in and sewed it on.
We used the Ballpoint Embroidery Paint by Aunt Martha’s. We bought it at Hobby Lobby using their 40% off coupon that they have every week lately. I love Hobby Lobby– they have so many different sewing and craft supplies.
My daughter-in-law bought the Ghostbuster badge online and had it shipped to me. I sewed it on using black thread. I stayed on the outside black part of the patch. I do not trust iron on to stay on so I always sew on patches using the same color thread as whatever the border color is.
I did use the measuring guide of the boys’ measurements to get the arms and legs the right length, the inseam measurement for the leg and the length of the arm (shoulder to wrist) to get the sleeve right, and also around the wrist of the sleeve for the elastic.
The outfit did go together quite nicely. I was so glad that the boys loved the outfit and that it fit them fine. All I can say is, don’t let an outfit scare you. It goes together one piece at a time. So take your time and enjoy the ride.